Rice & beans is the ultimate vegan lazy food. It’s cheap, easy and convenient, and it’s one of those foods you seem to always have ingredients ready for in your cupboard. (At least I know I have!) Last week I moved apartments and my diet was all about ease & not needing too many props to prepare it, so this 5 ingredient tomato + bean pasta recipe was in serious use.
I love recipes like this. They’re simple and anyone can make them with just a few basic ingredients. I always have tomato sauce and beans in my kitchen for moments when I’m too lazy to go grocery shopping and feeling too cheap to order in. I wholeheartedly recommend the same thing for you, if you’re not doing it already. Tomato + beans + carblicious side like rice or pasta has saved my day countless times!
This recipe is great since you can adjust it indefinitely. I used up my old plum tomatoes and baby spinach and it turned out awesome. I’m pretty sure you could also use chopped broccoli or grate some carrot in the sauce – use your imagination (and veggies!) I love my naturally gluten-free buckwheat pasta (you can feel like you’re eating pasta AND eating healthily = what’s not to love?) but feel free to use regular pasta, rice or even bread.
Without further ado, I’ll introduce you: the simplest and fastest 5 ingredient vegan tomato & bean pasta ever!
Five ingredient bean + tomato pasta (vegan, gluten-free)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of mixed beans (weight appr. 170g without liquids)
- 150 g plum or cherry tomatoes
- couple of handfuls of spinach
- 3 dl dry (gluten-free) pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Rinse and drain the beans. Heat the pan medium hot with a spoonful of oil.
- Pour beans and crushed tomatoes on the pan. Bring to boil gently and cook for couple of minutes.
- Halve the tomatoes and add them to the sauce. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat down, add spinach and salt, stir and let sit for few minutes until spinach turns dark and softened.
- Serve with pasta and enjoy!